On July 5, MovingCities presented in Amsterdam a double mapping report on Design & Fashion in China. The two reports were commissioned by Dutch Design Fashion Architecture [DutchDFA] and present a contemporary analysis of both the design and fashion fields in China. Researched and written in 2011 by MovingCities, and updated throughout 2012, the mappings highlight the people and processes that will influence future design agendas in China and throughout the world. More info after the break.
About the Design + Fashion in China reports
The Design & Fashion in China mappings by MovingCities, commissioned by Dutch Design Fashion Architecture, present an analysis of both the design and fashion fields in China. It provides insight into the ideas, work and dilemmas of a selection of Chinese designers, as well as to map out the structure of the Chinese design industry and identify key elements and opportunities. It is based on interviews held in 2011 [in Beijing 北京, Shanghai 上海, Shenzhen 深圳 and Guangzhou 广州] with 30+ acclaimed Chinese designers and scholars, and with 15 leading Chinese fashion designers – as well as on additional desk research.
- Read more & download the full Design in China Mapping-report [106 pages, 3.3 Mb]
- Read more & download the full Fashion in China Mapping-report [72 pages, 2.3 Mb]
or visit our China Mapping Report -page for more information.
The presentation of the Mappings on design and fashion in China took place on July 5, 2012, in the Kamer van Koophandel Amsterdam. The event called DutchDFA China Update was attended by designers, policy makers, professionals in the design field and other interested parties. The objective was to share the latest news on DutchDFA-activities in China. Speakers included Bert de Muynck [MovingCities], Richard Hoving [Amsterdam Chamber of Commerce], Marielle Lagers [Dutch Design Desk South China], Peter Kersten [BNO | Beroepsorganisatie Nederlandse Ontwerpers], and Giel Groothuis [Dutch Design Workspace Shanghai via skype].
The Mappings on design and fashion in China present an analysis of the fashion and design fields in China. They provide insight into the ideas, work and dilemmas of Chinese designers and fashion designers, as well as the structure of the local creative industry. The findings also present business opportunities for Dutch professionals aiming to work in China, as it maps out the structure of the Chinese fashion industry and identifies key elements and opportunities.
Each of the report consist out of eleven chapters. For an introduction and overview of the content of the chapters, do visit either our Design in China Mapping  or Fashion in China Mapping  -pages.
In the coming weeks, we’ll be posting selected content from both reports, provide more background and align these with ongoing research in the development of the creative industries in China. For now, for an overall introduction visit the MovingCities DutchDFA China Mapping Report -page for more information.
Featured Chinese DESIGNERS & Scholars
- BI XueFeng 毕学锋 [IMAGRAM 言文设计 Shenzhen]
- Remy CHEN 陈知明 [MODERN MEDIA 现代传播 Shenzhen]
- FENG Yu 机构 [DEVE BUILD Design 深圳大羽营造设计机构 Shenzhen]
- FENG ZhiFeng 冯志锋 [RITO Communication 朗图创作 Shenzhen]
- HONG RongMan 洪荣满 [GAFA / Dammi group 搭米组 Guangzhou]
- HOU ZhengGuang 侯正光 [Mooma Design 木码设计 / MoreLess 多少 Shanghai]
- JIANG Jian 姜剑 [JOYN:VISCOM Beijing]
- JIANG Qiong Er 蒋琼尔 [SHANG XIA 上下 Shanghai]
- LIU Feng 刘峰 [FUN+ LIVING BJ 风生设计 / PEP art+design 设计工社 Beijing]
- LIU Lidan 刘力丹 [XL+DESIGN Shanghai]
- LIU Yi 刘义 [SPARDEC Brand Consulting 斯巴迪克 Shanghai]
- LUO Cheng 罗成 w/ Tony SHI 师帅 [ARTOP Industrial Design 浪尖设计有限公司 Shenzhen]
- LV YongZhong 吕永中 [BANMOO 半木 / VEP design Shanghai]
- MA Jia 马嘉 [Beijing Original Design Promotion Association (BODA) 北京原创设计推广协会 Beijing]
- PAN JianFeng 潘剑锋 [SHTYPE 字研所 Shanghai]
- Bruno PORTO [Bruno Porto Comunicação Visual / Raffles Design Institute Shanghai]
- Tom SHI 石川 [Tom Shi Design & Research Studio /Leaping Creative 立品品牌策划 Guangzhou]
- Professor TONG HuiMing 童慧明 [GAFA School of Industrial Design 广州美术学院 Guangzhou]
- David WANG 王乐毅 [Shanghai CREATIVE INDUSTRIES Demonstration & Service Platform
- Professor WANG Min 王敏 [CAFA School of Design 中央美术学院 Beijing]
- WANG ShaoQiang 王绍强 [Design360° magazine Guangzhou]
- WANG XueSong 王雪松 & HUANG YiHan 黄驿寒 [Yah Interactive Lab 亚状态互动工作室 Beijing]
- WANG Yun 汪芸 [TRENDS HOME magazine 时尚家居 Beijing]*
- Imagine WONG 黄立光 HUANG LiGuang [zitype workshop / FRINGE Festival Shenzhen]
- XIE JianJun 解建军 (w/ SONG Yang 宋洋 & Fabian FURRER) [DONGDAO Design 东道设计 Beijing]
- Jesus YEH 叶宇轩 (written by WANG Yun 汪芸) [Yehidea Beijing]*
- ZHANG DaLi 张达利 [ZHANGDALI Design / ELEPHANT Design 大象空间 Shenzhen]
- Ready ZHANG 张宏毅 [Guangzhou DESIGN WEEK 广州国际设计周
/ CITIEXPO 广州市城博展览有限公司 Guangzhou]
- ZHENG Zheng 郑铮 [Leaping Creative 立品品牌策划 Guangzhou]
- ZHOU Yi 周佚 [s.point design s.point 指南设计 Shanghai]
- ZOU ZhengFang 邹政方 [Studio DUMBAR China Shanghai]
Featured Chinese FASHION DESIGNERS & Scholars
- Aric CHEN 陈伯康 [Beijing Design Week 北京国际设计周 Beijing]*
- Nels FRYE 费志远 [STYLITES Beijing]*
- Maple JIANG 江枫 [VISION magazine 青年视觉 Beijing]*
- Jenny JI 吉承 [LA VIE Design Studio Shanghai]
- JIANG Qiong Er 蒋琼尔 [SHANG XIA 上下 Shanghai]
- LIANG Zi 梁子 & HUANG ZhiHua 黄志华 [TANGY 天意 / LIANGZI Fashion 梁子时装实业 Shenzhen]
- LIU XiaoGang 刘晓刚 [Donghua U. FASHION INSTITUTE 东华大学服装艺术设计学院 Shanghai]*
- LIU Yang 刘洋 w/ Dragon [LIU YANG Art & Production 广东刘洋艺术创作有限公司 Guangzhou]
- Augustus MENG 孟祥千 [JWAS Group 若思时尚文化发展有限公司 / masstelà Beijing]
- QIU Hao 邱昊 [QIUHAO Shanghai]
- Frain WANG 王逢陈 [FengChen Wang Beijing]
- Uma WANG 王汁 [UMA WANG Shanghai]
- Vega WANG 王在实 [Vega Zaishi WANG Beijing]
- WANG YiYang 王一扬 [ZUCZUG 素然 / chagang 茶缸 Shanghai]
- ZHANG Chi 张弛 [CHI ZHANG Beijing]
- ZHANG Da 张达 [PARALEL Design Studio / BOUNDLESS / SHANG XIA Shanghai/Beijing]
- Xander ZHOU 周祥宇 [XANDER ZHOU Beijing]
About Dutch Design Fashion Architecture
Dutch Design Fashion Architecture [DutchDFA] aims to strengthen the international position of the most prominent sectors of the Dutch creative industries – design, fashion and architecture – through a joined-up approach. The four-year strategic meme (2009–2012) involves a selection of focus countries (India, China, Germany and Turkey) and relates to topical issues and local demands. Its aim is to build long-lasting international partnerships while addressing issues facing today’s world through design.
MovingCities is a Shanghai-based think-tank investigating the role of architecture and urbanism in shaping the contemporary city. Established in 2007 by Bert de Muynck [BE] and Mónica Carriço [PT], MovingCities operates as embedded architects – publishing, researching, collaborating and interacting. Specialized in bridging China and the world, MovingCities offers urban consultancy in the fields of architecture, design and the creative industries, in the public and cultural institutional sectors. It has conducted research, lectures and workshops in China, Israel, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland and Indonesia. Amongst others, MovingCities has set up programs for the Netherlands Architecture Institute [NAi], DutchDFA and the Finnish Association of Architects [SAFA/NewlyDrawn] in China.
Content | MovingCities, Shanghai, China: Bert de Muynck & Mónica Carriço
Editorial Supervision & Coordination | Carolien van Tilburg
Editing | Jennifer Sigler
Graphic Design | Cover: Thonik, Amsterdam / Inside: CO3, Amsterdam
Commisioned by | Dutch Design Fashion Architecture, Rotterdam